Sunday, January 2, 2011

Community Blog Aassignment

 Review of, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner




In our English class here at The Center for Advanced Learning we have been assigned to create a blog revolving around either a specific Romantic Poet or Romantic Poetry in general. One of the groups throughout the several classes chose to research and blog about Samuel Coleridge's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner." The blog was extremely well put together. The poem, "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is slightly confusing, and quite a hard read, so it was nice to have the group break certain parts of the poem down and clarify. When our teacher read bits and pieces of the poem aloud to the class, it was very interesting but then when I read the poem alone I had a tough time understanding what exactly I was reading. I chose to do the community blog assignment on this specific blog because I want to know and understand what exactly I read, because I know it is an all time classic.

Here is a link to the blog: The Rime of The Ancient Mariner

I mainly looked focused on one of the posts on this blog which was the Symbolism post, because that's where I had the hardest time understanding the poem. Throughout the post about the symbolism and impact, it goes into great detail about how the sun and the moon are symbolized and why. Although it may seem obvious to some people when they read the poem of why the moon and sun are portrayed the way they are, I think that you could get so many different perspectives; it was nice to read a clear statement that made had information to back it up. When i read the poem I did not get the image in my head that the poem reflects on Christ and it was very interesting to read from that point of view. Ending this post was very interesting to me as well because I had no idea how often and how recent this poem is being referenced. This poem had quite an impact on our culture it is awesome to see how even hundreds of years later the same literature is being used.

This blog is important for those who are interested in a fabulous Romantic poet. Samuel Coleridge has such an amazing writing style, and really knows how to draw people in and keep them interested. If you can understand the writing he does it is neat to see the connections or the symbolization's created throughout his poetry to things or people around even today. Even if you are just looking for blogs to simply check out, this is one worth reading, guarantee you wouldn't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment