Monday, January 3, 2011

Growing up: Prose Poem

There are many things in life to overcome, and so little time to overcome those things.
For a short period of time in our lives our childish instincts wish it all away, our innocence and youth, our irresponsibleness, our reliance on others. Yet for an even bigger portion of our lives our adult wisdom wishes it all could go back to those younger years, but there is nothing that can be done to reverse it all.
Growing up and moving on may be the most fearful change in our lives, the time where we begin to take charge on our own is a scary thought.
Until the time comes to take the first step in growing up, you don’t really truly appreciate how pure and sweet innocence really can be.  How easy and carefree our lives used to be.
It brings tears to my eyes when I realize how very fast sixteen years flies, my youth gone forever and no time for re-tries.
Very first job, throw that on top of school, family friends and a love life will be the first step in growing up and learning just how hard it is to prioritize. Will I be able to handle it all? Only time will tell.
I use to complain about cleaning my room and picking up my toys in the living room because that was too much to handle, how do I go from this to that in such a short amount of time.
It’s crazy to know that from now on I will always have to be responsible for myself; I will now be in charge of my own future, my own life, my own everything. And it all began so soon.  There is beauty in growing up, don’t get me wrong. But it is just so sad how often people believe their best years are the older years, when really our youngest, although most naive years, are the greatest years. And we shall never forget them through all the chaos we may will face in our lives.
Growing up, we will all be faced with this reality, and we all got to do it somehow, someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment